Thursday, July 21, 2011

Homemaking Week

This week I've found some time for fun in the kitchen. Blackberries have come in full swing in our county and we've all been busy picking and baking and freezing our fruits. I like to store fruit in the freezers for making smoothies, pies or cobblers. To freeze fruit, lay it on a paper-towel lined baking sheet and freeze in a single layer. When the berries are completely frozen, bag into quart freezer bags. :) So fun!

I've also been experimenting with making apple butter in the slow cooker. I put 3 lbs. of peeled and cored apples with 1/2 cup water and let it cook down for at least 12 hours on low. The apples will reduce down quite a bit. Add your favorite spices, like cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg, and at least 1/4 cup sugar and let that cook together a few more hours on low. I loved how easy and delicious apple butter was to make!

This weekend I plan on making butter, and my herbed mayo, too.

What are you creating in your home kitchen?

What fun preserves or canning recipes would you like to share?

Comments welcome! :)

10 comments:

Mrs. Jerri Ann Mills said...

Sounds yummy! I am wanting to freeze some peaches (I've never done it before). The only way I've seen to do it is to peel the peaches, cut them up, then put sugar in there. When you layer them on a baking sheet, do you need to add sugar? Any advice would be welcome.


Yesterday in my kitchen I made homemade hamburger buns. They surely don't look like the buns you buy in the store, but I think they'll be yummy!

Kristen said...

Hi Jerri,
Thanks for commenting! Homemade hamburger buns do sound yummy. :)

When I froze the blackberries, I didn't put sugar on top because they were pretty sweet already. I plan to make cobblers with them and the sugar in that will help to make them sweeter too.

I peeled and sliced the peaches and froze them in a freezer bag. I have heard of adding sugar and spices to make a frozen peach pie bag for easy pie making later.

Feel free to share some of your recipes! I'd love to learn more.
Blessings,
Kristen

Mrs. Jerri Ann Mills said...

Thanks Kristen!

I wasn't sure if I needed to add sugar or not, I would prefer not to since I'll freeze them and use them for just about anything. I'll try freezing them without and see what happens.

I just stumbled across this blog, as I was searching for the farm (I've watched Food, Inc. and am currently reading Omnivore's Dilemma both of which feature the farm). Also, I just moved to VA from the Midwest, so I had to see how far we are from the farm in hope that my husband will take a weekend trip with me! :)
I look forward to following you guys.
Thanks again,
Jerri Ann

Kristen said...

Yes, please come by the farm for a visit! And be sure to check out the "new" Hen House blog: polyfacehenhouse.com.
All the best,
Kristen

Mudassar Mughal said...

I love it as much as I do you! Thank you so VERY much for all your labors and willingness to make it perfect for me.chicken coops for sale I know that's not an easy task! I love that I get to have a part of you in my house everyday

sulman farooq said...

Are you fond of visiting places that you have never been to?If you are, you probably know all the safety precautions for traveling on the road. AA Route Finder In fact,this has been easy for motorists with the help of several online services that offer free traffic.

sulman farooq said...

The early paper routes were personalized itineraries and provided the town maps and “day drives”.AA Route Planner

sulman farooq said...

AA Route Planner you can obviously make out that this device has a lot benefits as AA Route Maps it is not just like other maps

sulman farooq said...

In case you plan and take up a travel venture of a completely unknown place AA Route then the chances of your encountering problems of various kinds are quite high.

sulman farooq said...

this is nice blog and great article nd great commenting Loan Modification help

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...